Telephone: 056 - 4442288




On the 22nd of August 1911 permission was issued to Rev. M. Power, Parish Priest, by Board order, to build a new school. This school known as Gazebo was built in 1913/1914 and senior pupils moved into the premises on April 21st 1914. The school was closed from 14th of May 1914 to the 30th of June 1914 owing to an epidemic of scarletina. “Curtailment of vacation suggested: Board Order 28th of July 1914.” (This is interpreted as the Office of Education’s suggestion that the school should cut short its summer vacation). Mr. Joseph Brennan was the principal of the boys’ school and the assistant teacher was Mr. Michael Salmon. Mrs. Mary Derivan was the principal of the girls’ school and the assistant teacher was Miss Mary Madigan and Miss Julia Campion was the monitress. Infants remained in the other building known as Gazebo Infants for almost 100 years.



In the early years, the boys’ and girls’ schools were housed in the same building but had separate entrances and the children were taught separately. Both schools continued to operate independently until some time in the early 1940s when they amalgamated. From then on the children were taught in mixed classes.


There were some renovations to the building in 1985, including replacing windows, putting in concrete floors, laying of carpets, painting and alterations to the staff room.


In the 1990s, major fundraising was undertaken by the Parents’ Committee of the school, under the leadership and guidance of the then Parish Priest, Fr. Jerry Joyce, R.I.P., to build an extension to

the school.



Gazebo Pupils 1913


Back Row: Ms. Maggie Doyle (Teacher), Pakie Walsh, Johnny Dunne, Ned Brennan (Durrick),

Willie O’Shea, Jack Holohan, Lar Meally, Tom Lawlor, Johnny Nash, Nicholas Walsh, Joe Langton, Paddy Fitzgerald, Pat Campion.


Middle Row: Wm. Brennan (Ned), Jim Walsh, John Brennan Roe (Rabbit), Joe Carroll, Dan Carroll, Paddy Shortall, Wm. Brennan (Roe), John Nash, John Brennan (Ned), Charlie Brennan, Mick Loughlin, Eddie Boran, Joe Ivory.


Front Row: John Morrissey, Billy Carroll, Lar Holohan, Pat Comerford, Charlie Brennan (Roe),

Tom Holohan, Pat Murtagh, Murty Brennan, Pat Fleming,   Mick Walsh, Sargeant Shiner,

Tom Comerford.





     Moneenroe NS, The Glen, Moneenroe, Castlecomer, Co Kilkenny                                 T: 056 - 4442288                   E:

Site Map